Sunday, November 4, 2012

Day 4 Shut the Front Door


Here is a picture from today.
Don't you wish you had wood paneling like that?



I cannot believe how much weight  I have lost in just the last few days.  I had been at a plateau for what had seemed like the longest time.  I could tell I was losing inches (my pants were falling off me, people), but my weight was staying the same.  Hallelujah for this blog!


And can I get an AMEN for Sundays.  I love Sundays.  They are the day for helping create a Healthy Mind.  This is just one part of the trilogy of health (Healthy Body, Healthy Mind, Healthy Finances) that Dr. Anderson discusses in our Habits of Health program materials.  As part of the Healthy Mind, my husband and I include a Healthy Spirit.

As part of our religious practices, my husband and I participate in fasting once a month.  Today was that day.  Fasting might seem counter intuitive to losing weight (body says, "Yikes, no food!  Quick, store everything as fat), but it has contributed greatly to my overall health.  I could quote medical research in favor of fasting and also evidence opposed to fasting and its medical benefits, however; I am referring to the benefits for my Spiritual and Mental Health.

These are just some of the ways I have benefited from fasting:

1.  I gain more control over my body.  Let's face it, we do a lot of things out of habit.  One of them is eating.  By showing my body that my mind is in control, even just for one day with one thing, I feel more in control over all aspects of my life.

2.  I feel closer to God.  Fasting is more than just starving yourself for a day.  While fasting, we offer up petitions or ask for things from our Heavenly Father in prayer.  We sacrifice something in hopes that God will bless us.  I know that He has indeed blessed my with my righteous desires when I have faithfully fasted and prayed.

3.  I feel joy.  That happiness comes from helping others.  When we fast, we contribute the funds we would have used to buy our own food to those in need.  There is a great feeling of peace and joy that comes from helping others. 

Our Mental Health and Physical Health are woven together.  If we decide to neglect our Mental Health, our Physical Health will be kept from its optimal level and vice versa.  If you are trying to get a Healthy Body, remember to nourish your soul.  It doesn't matter what your belief system is, your mind needs to be strengthened.

Current Holiday Weight Loss Total {5.3 lbs}

1 comment: