Monday, November 5, 2012

Day 5 Parties, a Recipe for Failure?

One of the hardest things about holiday parties for someone who is trying to be healthy is the feeling of deprivation that will inevitably ensue.  One of the comments I hear most frequently at these gatherings is, "She can't have any.  She's on a diet."  Of course I am going to find myself feeling left out, when that is the only thing I am hearing.  I had to totally change my thought process into, "I can have whatever I want.  I am choosing to only put good things into my body."  When I am feeling especially picked on, I have to say it out loud.

Today there was a big birthday celebration at the office for Todd (that little sweetie is 31)!  Birthdays are pretty much the same as any other holiday when it comes to the food traditions they are centered around.  Hello birthday cake and ice cream.  Today our resident office diva, Annette, laid out a smorgasbord of healthy eats: carrots, baby tomatoes, celery, turkey, and even some broccoli alongside some cupcakes (she got the idea from reading this blog, hooray)!  It was a great way to make all the healthy eaters feel included in the event without stepping on the birthday fairy's toes.

Before I go to a party or other social gathering, I have to pump my healthy-self up.  I am not talking about weight lifting, although that would probably help too.  I have to mentally place myself in risky decision-making situations and decide what I will do beforehand.  It's easier to turn down Mom's ice cream cake without hurting her feelings with a creative preset answer, "Oh Mom, that looks sooo delicious.  I would love a piece, but not today.  You'll have to give me that recipe."  

If you would like to join the ranks of people getting healthy, you can join us for our weekly meeting to learn the Habits of Health.  Here's a little link to the event.  Hope to see you there!
 
Current Holiday Weight Loss Total {5.7 lbs}

No comments:

Post a Comment